Tuesday, August 19, 2008

You Need a Day Like This Once in a While



If you walked into my backyard or sat down in my sun room, you would not notice a single thing. Only if you had a before and after photo would you have a chance of knowing what all I did today.

I spent HOURS in one flower bed - the one with the bird feeders. I pulled up trees and weeds and sticker vines. I cut the limbs that the squirrels were using to get on my roof. That led to cutting other low hanging limbs. I cut dead limbs out of hydrangeas. I dead headed flowers and shrubs. I cleaned and filled feeders and the birdbath.

The birds kept on eating when they realized I wasn't going away. So, of course, I had to get my camera and take 126 pictures - OK - that took a while...

I was wearing flip flops and no gloves during all of this and copperheads did cross my mind a time or two as I reached into the dense ivy. The only scary moment was when this guy showed up. At first, he didn't mention that he was only a lizard - I thought I heard him say the snake word...Oh well, I got his picture and we didn't scare each other to death after all.

I had lots of time to think and solve the world's problems. I needed a day like this!

2 comments:

southernjoy said...

I thought it was a snake just from the picture!

When you're through with your yard, mine is waiting.

DrW said...

I have several beds - it could be a while!