Thursday, October 9, 2008

Birthdays and Grandmammas

I just had a birthday and with the exception of the homemade, self-made, disaster cake, it was a nice birthday. This birthday came in the middle of some pretty big changes in my world - what with china packing and all - and I have thought a lot about my grandmother who lived to the ripe old age of 100 years and 5 months to the day. So since I AM swimming in her gene pool, I could well be at the half-way point of my life - or not... (Also in my gene pool are those who make me hesitate to buy green bananas.)

We called her Nana and she was quite a Southern Steele Magnolia. She worked in a mill, played the mandolin, and had the good sense to marry my grandfather - the sweetest man ever to walk this earth. She was full of wisdom and shared it when needed. I remember her telling my cousins and me that "What's down in your well comes up in your bucket." She was right. Think about it.

This is a picture of Nana in her mother's arms. It is one of my favorites! I think they are both beautiful and I am proud to have them a few limbs up in my family tree!

5 comments:

southernjoy said...

I adore pictures like that.

Enjoy those special memories!

DrW said...

Thank you! I have so many pictures and memories. I have been very blessed!

Anonymous said...

This is extremely beautiful! Doing genealogy in my spare time (haha) and traveling back to my home state of Texas (hook'em horns) always yields at least one photo that I've never seen before. When you truly look deeply into the old photos you can see yourself....I hope you can see your beautiful eyes in both of these sets of eyes that are looking at you. Maybe you have had better luck than I at finding just the right antique frame for each unique moment caught so many moons ago. It is obvious that you come from a very loving family that made sure each person knew they were/are loved.
This one really took my breath away, for that I thank you so much. See you Monday evening.
Chefdeb

DrW said...

Thank you, Debbie, for your sweet comments! I guess it takes getting older to really appreciate family and those who paved the way for us. Once again, I am very blessed indeed!

Susan said...

What a wonderful picture!